Saturday, September 15, 2012

Red Carpet Q.and.A.: Comedian/Actor GERALD KELLY

The Date: Tuesday, 4/12/2K11
The Locale: Times Square Arts Center, New York City
The Event: 'This Is 50' Comedy Show taping (50 Cent)

RG: Give me your thoughts on This Is 50 Comedy and Jack Thriller.

GK: First of all, I'm about about pioneership. 50 Cent is a pioneer - an iconic figure on the East Coast. He's the first rapper in the hip-hop biz from the East Coast besides Damon Dash to look out for comedians. I live in both New York City and Los Angeles....A lot of rappers have looked out for comedians like Snoop Dogg, Ice Cube, Ice-T....They've featured us in a lot of movies, TV shows and music videos for the extra exposure we needed. I'm proud of 50 for allowing my man Jack Thriller to have a platform and a venue. But I'm even more proud of Jack Thriller! The one thing I told him about moving to New York City from Atlanta is that there's a lot of haters and a lot of negativity. You can grind and hustle here in NYC, as you see what 50 and myself did, but Jack came here and he had a mission, saying 'Yo, I wanna come to NYC and meet 50, and let him know what I'm trying to do and get him on board with me.' So now, his dreams and aspirations are coming into fruition and reality.

RG: Give me your take on the current state of the Black comedy game as you see it.

GK: Right now, there's a void in Black comedy. We need a new 'Def Comedy Jam,' but we don't need it done by the same people; We need it done by somebody different - something fresh and new because there's new talent out there. My son Isiah Kelly is the youngest comedian in the country right now, and we are the first father/son stand-up comedy team in history!

RG: Give me your thoughts on the potential longevity of the talented, funny new crop of comics like Jack Thriller coming into the game, compared to the veterans like yourself that's been doing it consistently for years.

GK: It's all about creativity. You see how Jack Thriller works hard? You couldn't find 150 new comedians who work hard like Jack does. The key to success is when preparation meets hard work and determination. A lot of these young cats don't work hard like that. That's why it's easy for vets like Bruce Bruce, Earthquake, Adele Givens, Sommore, D.L. Hughley, Mike Epps and so on and so forth, still being relevant in a major way in the comedy game because a lot of the new jacks are not coming up with product - or are just not getting a break. I've been doing comedy for a long time....I've been on a lot of TV shows, a couple of B-list films such as 'Cookout 2,' 'Buzz House' with Wesley Johnathan and Faizon Love, but I'm still trying to get my big break and still grindin'. I realize that what God has for you - it's gonna be for you. Every up-and-coming comedian should look at Jack Thriller as an example and say 'Damn...This is what can happen if I'm determined and I work real hard!'

www.twitter.com/geraldkellynyla
www.twitter.com/isiahkelly


No comments:

Post a Comment