Sunday, March 11, 2012

LockerRoom Q&A: WNBA Legend TAJ MCWILLIAMS-FRANKLIN

RG: Give me your thoughts on the growth of the WNBA since its debut in 1997.

Taj: The growth is amazing! I'm always asked about current Connecticut Sun All-Star Tina Charles and how well she plays. I remember being 21 years of age, coming straight out of college and having nowhere near that skillset and the knowledge of the game. The players now are bigger, stronger and better. Also, the teachers of the game are much better now than they were back then. Not saying that the coaches weren't, but we only had the mens players to look up to. Now, they see the women's game that they can model and say 'I want to take that move from HER,' or 'I want to do this move that SHE used to do.' So as the generations change and the WNBA grows, I just see more incredible talent coming straight out of college and into the league that's exploding it like current Los Angeles Sparks All-Star Candace Parker and the aforementioned Tina Charles. It's just great for the league, and I hope it continues because I have daughters that play and they want to play in the WNBA one day. For me, just knowing that I had a hand in something that I want the WNBA to become - a global institution just like our male counterparts of the NBA. Even though it looks great now, we still have a long way to go, but we're moving along at a great pace, 15 years in!

*Taj was a member of the 2K11 WNBA champion Minnesota Lynx and re-signed with the organization for the 2K12 campaign.

http://www.wnba.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment