Sunday, August 14, 2011

TOYA: A FAMILY AFFAIR (BET Network)--The Best Reality Series of 2K11

Why do I believe it's the best of the year compared to the likes of the 'Real Housewives' franchise on BRAVO, 'Basketball Wives' on VH1, The Kardashian family on E! and 'Jersey Shore' on MTV? Well, when it came to all-around 'authentic' reality TV, Antonia 'Toya' Carter and her family delivered in a huge way for the faithful viewers, including myself. Her personal struggles to me were captivating. From her trying to find her own identity outside of of being solely known as Grammy Award-winning hip-hop superstar Lil Wayne's ex-wife, to dealing with her mother Anita's long battle with drug addiction, to the dysfunctional circumstances within her family circle, Toya brought a vivid perspective to light on these issues that the vast majority of struggling African-American families go through in everyday life. To me, Toya seems to be a fantastic mom to her and Weezy's daughter Reginae, and her hunger to be successful in her own right is inspirational to women everywhere who have dealt with the same experiences as she has.

As I watched the series, I was mostly happy for: 1) Momma Anita's willingness to get the help she needed to kick her lenghthy battle with drug addiction and is now a co-owner of a restaurant in New Orleans, thanks largely to her loving daughter Toya.  2) Toya releasing her debut tell-all book, 'Priceless Inspirations' through Farrah Gray Publishing and 3) Toya and MempHitz tying the knot in the final episode. Plus she opened her own ladies boutique called GARB in her hometown New Orleans, Louisiana. Those were my touching moments of the series, in my opinion. The sky's beyond the limit for Toya, as she is truly a down-to-earth, career-driven, positive-minded, and of course, a gorgeous-looking sister who made a true believer out of me, without a doubt! I think it's safe to say in my humble and honest opinion that Weezy F. Baby gets a big FAIL for not staying married to this all-around fine lady.

www.twitter.com/toya_carter

No comments:

Post a Comment